We seek a Senior Data Engineering to support our high-frequency trading and quantitative research. At Grasshopper we recognize that effective research and trading strategies are built upon a solid foundation in data collection, storage and service. Grasshopper trades at a number of exchanges globally, and our success depends on our ability to scale by leveraging the potential of data.
You will, in close collaboration with stakeholders, design and develop highly scalable and fault-tolerant data pipelines in a cloud environment focusing on scalability and performance, as well as the next generation of tools that empower users to generate insights on the data they work with.
As Senior Data Engineering, you will have full autonomy, as well as any support you require in implementing this vision.
• Expand the imagination of data stakeholders on what is possible and educate them in leveraging data they already have.
• Work proactively with traders, researchers and various members outside the data team to meet their needs for timely, accurate and complete data sets.
• Build highly scalable data pipelines to process and analyse billions of messages in real time.
• Set strong technical/architectural/cultural foundations, advocate good design in software development as well as data engineering, and lead by example.
• Good at working with both people and with code.
• Extensive experience with data modelling and designing/supporting both streaming and batch ETL pipelines.
• Extensive experience in SQL and databases.
• Domain knowledge in finance, especially in buy-side trading, is not required but good to have.
• Proficiency in at least two mainstream programming languages (preferably Python, Java, Scala)
• Proficiency in a programming language of a non-OOP paradigm (e.g. functional/logic programming).
• Demonstrates good judgment in software design balancing design principles with pragmatics, with an emphasis on simplicity. See Rich Hickey’s Simple Made Easy talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oytL881p-nQ
• Good to have experience in Google BigQuery.
• Experience working in some cloud services platform (e.g. Google Cloud, AWS, Azure).
• Experience with messaging middleware such as Solace or Kafka.
• Experience with machine learning is good to have.
A good degree with a focus on Data Engineering or the equivalent.
Able to work in our Singapore or Vietnam location.
Remote working arrangements may be considered. (Remote candidates will need to ensure they are able to commit to following part of the Singapore work schedule on work days)
Grasshopper is an Asian proprietary trading firm and liquidity provider competing on the global stage. Our cutting edge in-house technology puts us at the forefront of developments in electronic trading. An unbroken record of consistency and profitability is underpinned by firm values of curiosity, empowerment and flexibility that guide our future success.
At Grasshopper, you will be working in a diverse and dynamic environment with a flat hierarchy. With 65 employees and 15 nationalities working in an open office, communication is essential to performance. To keep our edge as the “small giant” of proprietary trading, we give employees a high level of autonomy and encourage them to get creative, take risks, make mistakes and learn from them.
We respect and listen to all our employees. You will get the chance to make an impact by having your voice heard by everyone, including the management.
We are in the business of developing people. We focus on substance and delivery - as long as you perform and communicate, you will be recognized and rewarded. We are dedicated to supporting our staff and ensuring they develop professionally and holistically to maximize their potential.