We seek a lead data engineer to support our high-frequency trading activities and quantitative research. At Grasshopper we recognize that effective research and trading strategies are built upon solid foundations in data collection, storage and serving. Grasshopper trades at a number of exchanges globally, together with the data team, you will manage and develop our ever-expanding data collection pipelines.
You are expected to design and develop highly scalable and fault-tolerant data pipelines in a cloud environment focusing on scalability and performance, as well as use your expertise to design and build the next generation of data tools that enable users to perform research on their data.
● Lead a team of experienced engineers across locations, managing project schedules.
● Work closely with traders, researchers and various units to meet their need for timely, accurate and complete data sets.
● Set and drive the firm’s data solution roadmap.
● Build highly scalable data pipelines to process and analyze billions of messages in realtime.
● Set strong technical/architectural/cultural foundations, advocate good design in software development as well as data engineering, and lead by example.
● Strong technical leadership qualities, good at working with both people and with code.
● Extensive experience with data modelling and designing/supporting both streaming and batch ETL pipelines.
● Extensive experience in SQL and databases.
● Domain knowledge in finance, especially in buy-side trading, is not required but good to have.
● Proficiency in at least two mainstream programming languages (preferably Python, Java, C++).
● Proficiency in a programming language of a non-OOP paradigm (e.g. functional/logic programming).
● Experience with FP libraries like scalaz/cats/ZIO is a plus.
● Demonstrates good judgment in software design balancing design principles with pragmatics, with an emphasis on simplicity. See Rich Hickey’s Simple Made Easy talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oytL881p-nQ
● Good to have experience in Google BigQuery.
● Experience working in some Cloud platform (e.g. Google Cloud, AWS, Azure).
● Experience with messaging middleware such as Solace or Kafka.
● Experience with machine learning is good to have.
Grasshopper is an Asian proprietary trading firm and liquidity provider competing on the global stage. Our cutting edge in-house technology puts us at the forefront of developments in electronic trading. An unbroken record of consistency and profitability is underpinned by firm values of curiosity, empowerment and flexibility that guide our future success.
At Grasshopper, you will be working in a diverse and dynamic environment with a flat hierarchy. With 65 employees and 15 nationalities working in an open office, communication is essential to performance. To keep our edge as the “small giant” of proprietary trading, we give employees a high level of autonomy and encourage them to get creative, take risks, make mistakes and learn from them.
We respect and listen to all our employees. You will get the chance to make an impact by having your voice heard by everyone, including the management.
We are in the business of developing people. We focus on substance and delivery - as long as you perform and communicate, you will be recognized and rewarded. We are dedicated to supporting our staff and ensuring they develop professionally and holistically to maximize their potential.