We seek a Data engineer to support our high frequency trading activities and quantitative research. At Grasshopper we recognise that effective research and trading strategies are built upon solid foundations in the collection, storage, and service of data. Grasshopper trades at a number of exchanges globally and we are looking for a junior engineer interested in working with terabytes of data to join our team.
As a Data Engineer, you are expected to build data pipelines that efficiently and reliably process and transform data captured across various systems as well as to design and implement storage solutions for enabling users to generate valuable signals and insights. You’ll have a chance to work with Google Cloud technologies, Scala, and possibly introduce a new solution yourself if you can make a case for it.
● Implement, monitor, and maintain data pipelines for market, transaction, reference, and other
● Perform all needed data cleansing and transformation to improve data quality.
● Work closely with traders and researchers to consume and analyze data faster and more
● Deploy new data models that provide insightful and actionable analytics across the firm.
● Manage the entire data processing system and advising of any necessary infrastructure changes.
● Thinks clearly, learns quickly, solves problems, and can work with no supervision.
● Asks good questions. Communicates effectively.
● Development experience in more than one programming language, preferably different (e.g.
strongly versus dynamically typed, functional versus object-oriented).
● Familiarity with software development practices. Works well in a team.
● Experience with databases and SQL.
● Experience with stream processing.
Good to have
● Knowledge of electronic trading and tick data
● Knowledge of data modelling and database design.
● Experience of data processing/ETL implementation.
● Experience with distributed systems.
● Experience with messaging middleware such as Solace or Kafka.
● Experience with (NoSQL) databases such as Hadoop, Cassandra
A good degree with a focus on Data Engineering or the equivalent.
Grasshopper is an Asian proprietary trading firm and liquidity provider competing on the global stage. Our cutting edge in-house technology puts us at the forefront of developments in electronic trading. An unbroken record of consistency and profitability is underpinned by firm values of curiosity, empowerment and flexibility that guide our future success.
At Grasshopper, you will be working in a diverse and dynamic environment with a flat hierarchy. With 65 employees and 15 nationalities working in an open office, communication is essential to performance. To keep our edge as the “small giant” of proprietary trading, we give employees a high level of autonomy and encourage them to get creative, take risks, make mistakes and learn from them.
We respect and listen to all our employees. You will get the chance to make an impact by having your voice heard by everyone, including the management.
We are in the business of developing people. We focus on substance and delivery - as long as you perform and communicate, you will be recognized and rewarded. We are dedicated to supporting our staff and ensuring they develop professionally and holistically to maximize their potential.